Wednesday, November 18, 2009

Whoever said ignorance is bliss...LIED!

You don't have to read this post. I just needed to get something off my chest. Proceed if you want but it is just me venting about someone and something that offended me today.

Okay, so I don't mean to make this post sound all preachy but something happened today about 2 hours ago and I just need to clear things up a bit. I am kind of having a bad day...well more like bad week. Anyway I was sitting in my sociology class today and we are learning about religion. My teacher had some vocabulary words up on the screen that we were copying down and one of the words was Polytheism. The definition of polytheism if you don't know is having more than one god. My teacher went on to explain that most religions today are monotheistic--only have one god however there are some that still have more than one. The example of this he gave was the Catholic church having the Father, the Son, and the Holy Spirit. This made me so angry! I wanted so bad to set him straight but in a class of 250 it would have been a little awkward.

So for all of those who don't understand this Catholic concept I will explain so you don't end up in my teachers situation. First of all the Catholic church has never and will never believe in more than one god. Yes there is the Father, the Son, and the Holy Spirit however these are not three separate entities. It is called the trinity--one God but three persons. The best way to explain this is how I was taught when I was little. Think of an apple. There is the skin, the flesh, and the core. Three parts but one apple. So there is only one God but three persons--not three gods. Its a hard concept to comprehend but I just wish that my teacher would have done a little more research before he opened his mouth.

No comments:

Post a Comment